This new page is about sustainability and old buildings, with a focus on old houses.
The best paper that I have found on old buildings and gross greenhouse emissions is by Dr Noni Boyd, initially from Wellington, trained in Auckland, and then acheiving success in the building conservation field in Sydney.
Here are the conclusions regarding GGHG and old houses:-
- Don't demolish, extend the life of your building.
- Retrofit; insulation, led lights, solar hot water.
- Build the minimum, or not at all.
- Build in timber.
- Change behaviours, open windows and doors daily, at the warmest time. Turn off the lights.
- Don't use steady state heating for the whole house, consider using an efficient woodburner, and get your wood from nearby.